No Celtics On the Olympic Team!?

Celtics Big Three

The 2008 NBA Champion Boston Celtics apparently had no players worthy of being sent to China to play for the US… despite spending the 2008 season wiping the court with the rest of the league. Oops… have I forgotten how successful our more flashy players can be in international play. We wouldn’t want to put in Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, or Paul Pierce… who collectively surrendered their individual games in favor of a cooperative team-centered style… would we? Do we really want to start winning against those other big-name basketball countries… like Greece, Argentina, and Puerto Rico? Countries who would gladly shove that basketball up your rear if they could score soccer tickets out of the “exchange”. Team-centered play… what’s that nonsense about?

Bless my soul, I thought basketball was a still a team sport!? Instead of sending the so-called all-stars to showboat, trip all over each other and screw up another year of international play (a far cry from the Bird, Magic, Jordan days)… why not send an actual team? Why not send the NBA championship team? That’s what I’m talkin’ ’bout. China baby! Someone said tea… I heard you ask for a little Boston 3 Party to march all over your misshapen paint! ;-)

u comment i follow 16 Comments

1. Michael
    Posted July 10, 2008 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

I’m pretty certain there’s a clause where professional athletes can’t compete in olympic games.

2. Posted July 10, 2008 at 8:51 pm | Permalink

Pro basketball players have been competing in the Olympics for USA since 1992.

3. Posted July 29, 2008 at 8:41 am | Permalink

whaaaaat? no players of celtics would play basketball in this coming Olympics? that would be sad, :(

4. marsjoe
    Posted December 3, 2008 at 10:18 pm | Permalink

palo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. ellen
    Posted June 2, 2011 at 6:31 am | Permalink

Gee why won’t the Celtics play in the Olympic. Wish their mind would change. I love this team and I’m an avid fan of them there’s no way in the NBA that I would miss their game.

6. Posted June 3, 2011 at 2:53 am | Permalink

What happen to you guys? Needs more practice ?. . I love Celtics very much specially Kevin Garnett who currently plays power forward for the Boston Celtics . Im still hoping that they will be able to represent US for Basketball Athletes…Thanks for the post!!!

7. Nabil
    Posted June 5, 2011 at 7:10 am | Permalink

No Celtics in the Olympics is like no e-mails in your inbox. It just doesn’t work that way.

You need e-mails in order for your inbox to be working correctly. The same goes for the Olympics. Without some good teams — there won’t be any competition!

/Nabil

8. Caspar
    Posted June 7, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

@Ellen

I totally agree with you there. I would love to see the new “big three” including Kevin Garnett play at the Olympics. But I should be glad that I have the channels showing NBA Live here in Sweden since basketball isn’t such a big sport as it is in the US.

// Caspar

9. Bob
    Posted June 21, 2011 at 10:44 am | Permalink

Any chance to watch my man Garnett play more is a good thing. Watching him help the US is an even better thing! Watching ‘Street Ball’ is fun for a while, but during the summer I start really missing seeing these superstars show their stuff. Hopefully we’ll see the men in green in some red white and blue…

10. CelticsBoy33
    Posted June 8, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

I’m pretty sure kevin is number 5

11. Posted June 25, 2012 at 6:32 am | Permalink

Nice post which Countries who would gladly shove that basketball up your rear if they could score soccer tickets out of the exchange. In which who collectively surrendered their individual games in favor of a cooperative teamcentered style. Thanks a lot for posting this article.

12. Posted August 17, 2012 at 3:22 am | Permalink

Favorite team of my hubby. CELTICS!

13. anoymus
    Posted March 28, 2013 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

Why is Kg’s number 12 it’s supposed to be 5

14. Posted March 5, 2014 at 10:12 am | Permalink

this is very helpful article, thanks for sharing

15. Posted September 18, 2014 at 5:42 am | Permalink

How can it happened this? No celtics cn the Olympic Team???

16. Posted October 24, 2014 at 11:40 pm | Permalink

very dangerous if it is not able to follow the game and it is unfortunate for this,

u comment i followPost a Comment

Please observe these simple rules when leaving comments. Fill out your information truthfully - that means using either your REAL name or a "handle" of some sort (like Mr. Frizzy Monkey). Don't be vulgar or idiotic. If your comment seems to be made for link value, or for advertising your business, and not to contribute to the discussion then your comment will probably be edited or deleted. If any of your info seems fake your comment will probably be deleted. I apologize in advance for any well meaning comments that meet an untimely end... but I'm sure you'll understand and forgive me.

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *